Yields 6 individual portions
- 1 pint strawberries, cleaned, hulled and halved
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped out and reserved, or vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar, garnish
- slivered almonds, garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine milk, heavy cream, vanilla pod and seeds in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, then remove from heat, remove vanilla pod and let cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch.
- Beat in eggs and stir for 30-60 seconds.
- Continue to stir and slowly pour in cooled milk mixture.
- Place strawberries in ramekins and pour batter over the tops of berries.
- Transfer ramekins to a cookie sheet. Place baking sheet in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until clafoutis is just set.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and slivered almonds and serve chilled or at room temperature.