- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh gingerroot
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- In 4-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add gingerroot and cook 2 minutes longer.
- Add carrots and stock to onions; heat to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook carrots until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- (Alternately, you can cook the carrots first, then add to stock- no need to thinly slice) Use hand blender to blend carrot mixture, in batches, until smooth.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat soup over low heat until hot.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
- Use the vegetable stock for vegetarians.